Fluid Dynamics arises across a multitude of industrial and environmental sectors, and the need for highly-skilled employees, with a broad and deep knowledge of fluid flow, is growing rapidly.
This Centre is a collaboration between the following faculties at the University of Leeds:
The Centre currently has a broad range of industrial partners that have declared their support for the CDT in a variety of ways including contributing to studentships, providing placements, training material and software, participating in the Centre’s industrial advisory board, and commitment of time and expertise to teaching and project supervision.
Our partners include, but are not limited to:
- BAE Systems
- BMT WBM
- Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- JBA Consulting
- JBA Trust
- Numerical Algorithms Group (NAG)
- National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS)
- National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL)
- Parker Hannifin
- Procter and Gamble (P&G)
A major strength of our CDT is its breadth, and the resulting breadth of training and experience that the students enjoy. This equips them to apply their Fluid Dynamics knowledge in a versatile and cross-disciplinary manner, and ultimately ensures that we meet the needs of a wide range of UK industry and employers.
"Fluid dynamics is central to many of the operations of Sellafield Ltd, and the training of scientists and engineers with expertise in experimental and numerical modelling techniques is fundamental to the development of effective waste management facilities to treat and dispose of the waste arising from the commercial and decommissioning operations of reprocessing."
Geoff Randall, Technical Directorate Sludge Centre of Expertise Lead, Sellafield Ltd.
"Within our current product portfolio, fluids feature in 23 of our 25 one billion dollar brands (more than $1 Billion sales) which include detergents, shampoos, fabric softener, dishwashing liquid, batteries, toothpaste and cosmetics. Given the abundance of fluids in our products coupled with our fast paced innovation, this area of work is of strategic interest to P&G as we see significant innovation opportunities across all of our businesses."
Charles Bragg, R&D Director, Procter & Gamble Technical Centres Ltd.
Work with us
The Centre is supported by industry partners who contribute to the Centre in a number of ways. Some examples of industry involvement include:
- Acting as an industry mentor for an MSc group project which runs January-June each year
- Sponsoring a PhD project. The project undertaken is aligned with the industrial partners long-term needs and they have a strong say in the project definition and on-going supervision
- Steering the CDT's direction to ensure student training addresses industry needs at our biannual External Advisory Board
- Hosting a short (up to 1 week) placement for a first year student to give them an idea of Fluid Dynamics research in industry
- Delivering skills training sessions for our students (for example, project management from an industry perspective), or give students access to relevant training courses
- Providing access to facilities, contributing software, case studies or other learning resources
The CDT welcomes any new industry collaborators, for more information on opportunities to engage with the CDT please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.